Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Monday, November 22, 2010

Options

Lou Gehrig, Yankee Stadium

The PET-CT scan is in the books. Since my appointment was at 6:30 this morning, we spent the night at David and Gretchen Miller's home. This way we dodged the early morning deer and it made for a less stressful day. I was told to do nothing the day before the test except drink water, drink water, drink water. No walking. No working in the yard. No nothing. So I was a good boy did just that. We get the results on Monday, the 29th. At this point, I assume one of five things will happen. Of course even though I'm a doctor, I'm not the kind who can help anyone medically. Here's what I think could happen in descending order of desirability:

1. The "hot spots" are gone and the PET-CT scan is clear.

2. The "hot spots" are still there but too soon to do anything and they need to be watched and monitored.

3. The "hot spots" have grown since August 25th, and it is time for more radiation.

4. The "hot spots" have grown and neck dissection surgery is in order.

5. Call my son the lawyer and get my affairs in order.

If the way I feel is any indication, it will be option number 1 or 2. Gee, on Monday old friends Bob and Donna O'Toole drove from Downers Grove to Macomb, and we had a lovely visit. We went out for lunch and I had a cup of chicken noodle soup, some potato chips, a pickle, and some of Diane's chicken salad sandwich including the bread. Oh, and I forgot--12 glasses of water.

For me, November 29th is Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, Diane's birthday, my birthday, and the kids' birthdays all rolled into one in terms of its significance. We will do a blog post late Monday afternoon upon our return to Macomb after our doctors' appointments.

Regardless of the results, good or bad, I have remained steadfast in my appraisal of my situation. I'm borrowing here what Lou Gehrig, the famous Yankee baseball player, said it best after he had been diagnosed with ALS which is a disease that carries his name. In front of a full house at Yankee Stadium on July 4, 1939, Gehrig gave his farewell speech. He said, "Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." I must admit that as I compose this, I am overwrought with emotion. I have much for which to be thankful. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!

1 comment:

  1. Gordy,

    Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Hopefully that translates in to a good report next Monday.

    Happy Thanksgiving to the Taylor family.

    Dave Onion

    ReplyDelete