
DATELINE: Cancer Care Center, West Burlington, IA.
DATE: November 29, 2010
APPOINTMENTS: 10:00, 11:00, 12:30, 1:30
RESULTS: ALL GOOD.
Today is a day we will not soon forget. We think about what could have happened and didn't. Every visit to each doctor was excellent in terms of the results we received. The hot spot located near my upper breast bone is gone. The smaller one located near my vocal chords is there but no one seems to think it is cancerous. The Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor did a thorough visual scope/examination of my base of tongue, throat, and vocal chords and saw nothing.
Here is the prognosis: I am to see the ENT doctor at the end of March and there's probably no need to see the other doctors unless my situation changes for the worse. There are no guarantees here but we could not have gotten better news. We have kept our emotions pretty much in check until now as we type this and are overwhelmed with emotion. This has been quite a 9 month roller coaster ride. When one deals with cancer, I'm told, the prospect of recurrence is always there but for now the 800 pound gorilla has been sent back to Jane Goddall where he belongs.
There is more good news. As of Thursday morning at 8:45, PEG will become history. Don Patterson will then have to share center stage with me as one of two men in Macomb to have 2 navels. Diane sold the doctors on my ability to move on without PEG. She somehow convinced them that I'm disciplined, focused, and goal-oriented--go figure. I will now supplement my diet with Ensure Plus and Boost Plus. We both think this is doable which is a good thing as we plan to be in Chicago and Texas in December.
More reports will be forthcoming as this journey is not yet over but we do want to say from the bottom of our hearts: THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for the support that you have provided us these past 9 months. It's hard to believe that on March 1, 2010 our lives were pretty much as they had always been but on March 2nd, they changed forever. Diagnosis, PEG insertion, radiation, chemotherapy, 50 trips to Burlington, sickness, a stay in the hospital, substantial weight loss, and probably worst of all for me: the inability to speak for 2 weeks. You can all stop laughing at this point. And so it goes.....
Waiting to read your post today was pure torture, whereas, reading your post today brought pure pleasure! We are all ecstatic for Team Taylor and family. So many prayers have been answered, so many hopes and dreams can move forward. Thanksgiving takes on a whole new meaning for those of us who have cheered you on...relief and joy fill our hearts! I can see the smile on your face Gordy...keep it coming!
ReplyDeleteGREAT news! The Taylors are fighters. It just makes the holiday season that much brighter! Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go TEAM TAYLOR! PMA does work. How did it feel to shoot that 800 lb gorilla in the ass as he headed out of Macomb? YAHOO!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Team Taylor! I am so glad to receive this wonderful news.
ReplyDeleteJustin
I won't forget the delivery of your fantastic news! This is the continuation of a life lived with awesome vitality for you and also your family and coincidentally my dad's 77th birthday (Oliver F. Fultz, Sr.). As he has maintained a good life despite the loss of his siblings, parents and such I charge you too with,"keep on keepin' on"! I admire your strength and vigor to keep it going through it all :)
ReplyDeleteTake good care and God bless,
Maggie Fultz-Fields
God Bless You Both!! I knew in the bottom of my heart the results would be positive, but as everyone knows, it's hard to say that at any point with 100% confidence until we know the test results. Your holiday season can now be celebrated with the utmost satisfaction and love for one and all. Happy holidays to Team Taylor and your family!! As we celebrate this holiday season, it is true . . . all of our prayers have been answered!
ReplyDeleteNow, out with PEG and celebrate!! Again, happy holidays to All of Team Taylor!!
Can't figure out why my comment didn't show up. I had checked the blog about every 20 mins. in the later afternoon. My comment was - Praise the Lord, our prayers have been answered. Wishing both of you wonderful holidays with this off your mind. -Sandi
ReplyDeleteI have followed your story from early this summer when my husband was diagnosed with Stage IV throat cancer and went through treatments, and had a PEG also. I am SO HAPPY for you. We also had good news and I was praying for the same for you. What a wonderful and blessed Christmas gift! I am in tears for you as I write this. Go Gordy! (and you, too, Diane!) - Bonnie Tetzlaff
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you both. Happy Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI knew the scan would come back clean. You should have waited a bit longer for the first one and avoided 3 months of anxiety.
Double congrats on breaking up with PEG. I can't wait to break up with her myself.
All the best, and thanks for sharing.
Ted
What a blessing for Team Taylor...but also everyone you both touch. There is a master plan and you're simply not done yet.....since will be a special Christmas and 2011. Sharing your insights on family,friends, blessings, struggles--all with love and humor while traveling the "c" journey has become a special part of my life and I'm sure many orthers. I hope you will continue to share and keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteNext time we're in Macomb golfing one of our favorite courses...we may just drive by 35 Indiane Trail and give a shout out.