Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Friday, September 3, 2010

ENT Doctor's Visit and Go Ensure!

We met with Dr. Henrich, ENT specialist, on Wednesday, September 1st. He did the scope thing and said, "things are clear on the back of your tongue." That is good news. However, there is always that question mark concerning the hot spots and he addressed it straight on. The hope is that they disappear but there is the possibility they will not in which case, let's not go there. Diane and I try to look at the positive and there are many positives but we are lacking in what we refer to at 35 Indian Trail as an "arm flapper." Let me explain. Every family has them. They are just different for each of us.

This is the genesis of the phrase and meaning behind "arm flapper." When something really neat happened to daughter Jennifer when she was a baby and for the rest of her life including the present, she flaps her arms like she is going to fly. These are exciting and happy moments that don't happen every day but they are "arm flappers." We want an "arm flapper" and we shall get one in November!!

As for food, the progress has been extraordinary. While I still occasionally choke a bit as I did on a piece of cheese in French onion soup on Monday in front of David and Gretchen Miller at a wonderful French restaurant in Burlington, these food events are less and less frequent. However, when they happen, they are a bit disconcerting. I was sitting across the table from David when I knew I had a little problem and quickly got up and went outside to handle the situation. Poor David and Gretchen. They have been with us since the day I was diagnosed, and they just sat there as I returned as if nothing had happened. They are a very good sports.

I need to remember how far I've come in the last month. From eating almost nothing, I now am ready to attack most anything as long as I have water by my side. Today, I even had some biscuits and gravy and a couple of eggs. It takes me about 3 days to eat this but I do it as I need the calories. Unfortunately, nothing tastes very good and just prior to swallowing it is imperative that I take a large gulp of water. This is sort of a bummer but I am eating.

I reached a real milestone the other day as I drank a couple of bottles of Ensure. If you recall, the last time I tried this I promptly left it in our back yard. But not this time as I had not one but two servings. This is important because it means I have to take in two less cans of product through the pump per day and I'm now down to four cans of product a day. In the scope of things, this is indeed a major step forward.

Progress continues on other fronts as last night I attended the first half of the WIU/Valparaiso football game and took a walk with Diane and mowed the lawn today. I'm still awake at 7 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great!" You have definitely "started" Gordy! So glad to hear that things are getting better!

    ReplyDelete