Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chicago, Greg, Oops!


Greg and Gordy

We did it! We left Macomb. Other than West Burlington, I had spent every night since March 31st at 35 Indian Trail. Diane and I hemmed and hawed for weeks before committing to this adventure. I had missed weddings, Cubs games, and other activities but just felt it was time to stretch my comfort zone. I write this from Chicago which means I'm still alive. I have been taking long walks and Friday went from the Sears Tower to the River North area. Also, took a walk with son Gordon from Navy Pier to Lincoln Park and back. Chicago is a marvelous city.

We drove up Wednesday and stopped in Hinsdale to have lunch with brother Greg who has also had some health issues and is recovering nicely. I usually shake hands when I see Greg but not this time. We stood in the Grant Square parking lot and gave each other a big bear hug. It was one of those moments. I think it meant a lot to both of us. Greg is 11 years my junior and I'm proud of the man he has become.

I am having a great time except for the "dining thing." As we visit with family and friends, we end up as we always have at nice restaurants. I have always been able to eat, drink, and converse freely but no more. This may not seem like much, but it is to me. We enter a restaurant, are seated, and then it begins. Everyone is having a fine time dining on excellent Chicago cuisine while I at best suffer through ANOTHER bowl of soup. I also pirate a little food away from everyone else. It's not pretty but it expands my food intake, and people are pretty tolerant as no one knows where my fork will go.

Now for the oops part! We were having a relaxing dinner at the Sofitel Hotel with Gordon and his lovely wife Lisa. I don't know how it happened, but I got a small bite of food stuck in my throat. This has happened before, and a big gulp of water moves the food down my throat. That didn't work so well this time. I got up from the table and walked across the restaurant through the lobby of the hotel attempting to dislodge my problem. For the first time, it didn't work. I just couldn't breathe. I'm sure I was quite a sight as in my attempt to clear my throat I had food coming out my nose and my mouth into a fine Sofitel linen napkin. I was starting to really panic when it was over. Just like that! The problem went away. This was the first time since I've started eating that I got scared--really scared. I need to concentrate on the business at hand in terms of eating. This continues along with my lack of the old Gordy energy to be the toughest part of my recovery.

I'm glad we came to Chicago. It has been a wonderful tonic and soon I will be watching the Bears play Dallas with Diane, Gordon, and Ryan in a comfortable condo. It will be like old times. After a trip to Zion tomorrow to see Diane's parents, our current plan is to return to Macomb late Tuesday. After all, Homecoming is just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Gordy
    I am curious where the 'hot spots" are located. Are these in the lymph nodes? Although I did not have a PEG and do well as possible eating, you will gain this as you progress. My last radiation was July 31 2009.
    Good Luck to you and your family. YOU will prevail.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete