Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Sunday, September 26, 2010

People, People, People

Diane, Anna and Harry Paulsen, Gordy Gordy and Dad
Dad and Diane
It has been quite a week. On Monday, Diane and I took the Metra to Waukegan from Chicago where the always reliable brother-in-law Paul picked us up and squired us around as we visited Diane's parents. Grandma wanted to see me so she could determine for herself how I was doing--I believe I passed the test. We had a good visit with Diane's dad as well as he is next door in the nursing home.

On Tuesday, we had lunch with Gordon and then hopped in the car and made it to Macomb in 3 hours and 50 minutes. We were lucky that the Eisenhower was wide open. It was good to get home but no regrets about the trip and we plan on more in the near future.

This was WIU's Homecoming weekend, and it is one neither of us will soon forget. We stopped by the Leatherneck Hall of Fame dinner Friday night to offer our congratulations to the new inductees. While I walk around town and see people, it is usually a one-on-one situation but this was quite different. My energy sags a little at night but we were energized and extremely moved by the sincere concern and love people showed us. Handshakes were out; hugs were in. It is difficult to verbalize how one feels when people come up and inquire about my progress or compliment me on how I look as in many cases, I haven't seen these folks over the past few months. It is not that I'm a hermit, but my primary trips outside Indian Trail are my daily morning walks.

We ventured over to the Alumni House and the process was repeated particularly with large groups of returning Delta Sigma Phi and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity members. Diane was particularly struck by the scene of men in the mid-60's again forgoing handshakes and going straight to hugs. Time and again, a friend from the past would have trouble verbalizing his or her thoughts but a hug said it all and then some. I was not aware of how many blog readers there are but I am now. I have always said I had the best job at Western and know now that I was speaking the truth.

Even though I live with it on a daily basis, I sometimes forget that I have been dealing with what could turn out to be a life-threatening illness, and people are genuinely concerned about my welfare. This weekend was a powerful and positive tonic in my recovery. People were just so darn nice. After the parade and football game on Saturday, we made a brief stop at the Delta Sigma Phi's 60th anniversary social and dinner. Diane and I were unprepared when Chapter Alumni Corporation Board President Ed Noel introduced us prior to our departure. We stood there in awe speechless as our eyes looked around the room at so many young men who I had had the pleasure of mentoring as fraternity advisor for 25 years. The standing ovation of 130 attendees was almost too much emotionally for us. I went to the podium, mumbled a few words of thanks, and we were out the door. It had been quite a weekend for the Taylors.

I have returned to my one-hour interview program Across the Miles on University Television. Alumni Director Amy Spelman was kind enough to be my first guest as I needed someone with whom I had a long history so that I didn't have to struggle with words. It went well. In her quarterly column in the Western News, Amy mentions my health situation and provides the blog address. Thanks, Amy!

We had a mini Big Chill weekend as well with house guests and dear friends Fred and Pam Hoffman and Steve McLaughlin. All three have been presidents of the WIU Alumni Association. While everyone went their separate ways during the day, we would rendezvous at our home at night. Oh the laughter. My only regret is that I would retire early due to my lack of energy. From my bedroom, I could hear the laughter continue and that in itself was wonderful. The past few months have not provided as much laughter as we are used to. It was a reminder of how important people, humor, and laughter can be.

Many thanks to everyone who has reached out to us. Mere words are inadequate to express our gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment