Diane & Gordy
Italy
Monday, June 10, 2013
What's Happening to Me? A Milestone TODAY!!!
I generally take my first walk of the day at 5:30 a.m. and I am told I cover 4 miles in about an hour. This doesn't set any records but due to hydrating issues and old knees, walking is less difficult for me than jogging was. I still jog a little but it is and never was a pretty sight. I am finally learning to cope with retirement after almost five years at this game. I need to be clear here, retirement was never really difficult for me, it's just that I continued to ALWAYS keep very busy and now I am learning that it is perfectly acceptable to take life a little slower and appreciate a more relaxed pace. This may not be big news to some of you retired folks out there, but it was to me.
I am noticing some "things" as I get older foremost of which is that Diane and I now attend way more funerals than weddings. This comes as no surprise but I used to talk about this phenomenon and now I am living it. Life is a bit different after a bout with cancer or I suppose, after any serious illness, and it takes a while to adjust to ones "new normal." I imagine this is the reason I go to bed at 9 or 10 and get up at 4:30 or 5. It's just the way my body works these days. I still can choke on food and need to constantly drink water, but my taste buds are back to maybe 65-70% which is good news.
I do have difficulty determining what is happening to my body. I was never a nap person and still am not but I can lie down and rest for 20-30 minutes from time to time. Not every day, but it is a new reality for me. Last week I had some yard work to do so after I walked I spent the day 8 to 5 working non-stop mowing, digging, weeding, pruning, and spraying. This never used to bother me, and it didn't this time except I consumed three Advil, took a shower, and was in my pajamas by 7 and asleep before 9. I woke up the next day and basically was paralyzed until I mustered up the strength to get out of bed. Heck, I didn't even walk. I asked myself what the heck was going on and decided it was a combination of what cancer and the treatment did to me and the reality that "hey stupid, you're 67, slow down." Actually, I believe Diane may have delivered those words, either verbally or subconsciously.
In addition to my yard work and I applied copious amounts of sunscreen and wore a broad rimmed Ramah of the Jungle hat (50 SPF series), I neglected to apply mosquito repellent. I have always been a favorite of mosquitos who find me very delectable and even more so since my bout with cancer. I entered the house and began to scratch my rear end and my head and I do mean scratch. I had huge lumps in the lymph node areas, but I knew what was going on so I applied some ointment and after 3-4 days the swelling and itching subsided. Last year when this happened, I assumed I was terminal and even drove to Burlington where my Ear, Nose, Throat doctor told me to go home and remember to apply repellent when I venture out into the yard.
I've been saving this last little vignette for the end as it has directly to do with the aging process. I am not a doctor, at least not the kind that can help anyone, but I have made some observations on the effects of the aging process. Since my “c” experience, my weight has stabilized at 160-165 pounds. Diane says it should be a few more but it is what it is. Lately, looks in the mirror reveal that Gordy Taylor has, as Elvis would say, "left the building." In his place is this man, not exactly old, but clearly not young. His chest has literally fallen into his stomach and there is this little bulge where 30 years ago was nonexistent. As I look at this guy, as I do when brushing my teeth each morning, I am looking squarely at Dr. Gordon A. Taylor, Sr., good God, my Dad! I suppose we all begin to have some weight adjustments/relocations as we age, but I never thought this would happen to me.
I'm not sure how it happened but it did and I/we feel fortunate, blessed, and quite happy about it. Jennifer, Gordon III, and Ryan have become three of our best friends. Of course, it's great when we "get along" with our adult children, but these three have become so much a part of our “go to” group, and we talk about everything, enjoy our time together, and laugh, and then laugh some more. Apparently there is a "statute of limitations" on stories involving the past behavior of our kids and since Diane and I can no longer do anything about any of it, the kids feel free to enlighten, shock, and not so gently inform us that at one time or another we raised three Ferris Buellers. We remain "parents" and are there for them when serious issues arise as they do for all of us but this friendship dimension nicely complements the role we play as parents.
As for grandchildren, I need say nothing. If you have them, you are aware of how "cool" they are and how they too, add a unique perspective and significant dynamic to your life.
I close this with the further realization that this retirement "thing" is really pretty good--more time with kids and grandkids and time to do precisely what I want to do or nothing at all. I would advise anyone getting ready to retire to have something to occupy your time, whatever it is. I keep busy in the yard, exercising a bit, and have Across the Miles to keep me energized and connected. Today, June 10th, is the three-year mark of the end of my cancer treatment which included 35 radiation blasts and 4 chemo infusions over 7 weeks, and I never tire of saying thanks to all of you who were and are there for us. Now that is excellent news to report!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment