Gordy, Harry, & Gordon--50 years after WWII, Dad put on his uniform in 1993.
I tend to write about people and I think I know why. While I've had the opportunity to meet to see many places and things in my life, it's people who interest me the most. Harry James Paulsen Jr. is one of those people; he's my father-in-law. Harry Paulsen is not a millionaire. I don't believe he's invented anything. He never drove a fancy car or lived in a mansion. He was not a great athlete, didn't go to college, and never had a high profile job. Yet Harry is an extraordinary man. Born in 1921, he married Anna Arnoldsen in 1947. They have 4 children--Diane, Arne, Paul, and Ruth; 9 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren. He lived in the same house in Winthrop Harbor, IL, for over 50 years and worked until he was 80 years old.
What makes Harry Paulsen unique is the way he lived his life. In a world of flamboyant, headline seekers, looking for their 15 minutes of fame, Harry is EVERYMAN. Since he was a young boy, he had a job and never missed more than a handful of days of work in 60 years. He always paid his bills on time, preferred hamburger steak to lobster and mowed his own lawn. In the 44 years I've known him, he never uttered a profane word. He went to church every Sunday, was handy around the house, liked to take walks, and his major indulgence was and still is chocolate nonpareil candies. He never smoked and rarely raised his voice in anger.
In 1943, he began his stint in the Army. Harry served with distinction in the 104th Infantry Division (Timberwolves). On October 29, 1944, in Breda, Holland, shrapnel from a bomb explosion hit him in the back leaving a wide and deep scare. This Purple Heart recipient is a quiet introspective man. You know the type: they don't say much but when they do they listen. Sometimes those who say the least really are the ones who say the most. Actions speak volumes.
Harry Paulsen is a man I've grown to admire, respect, and in the highest praise I can give, love as if he were my own father. Harry believes in hard work. He taught life's lessons to his children by example. He never complained, never made excuses, he just did what he had to do and expected the same from his children who are all successful college graduates.
He is an unpretentious, modest man who earned respect by the manner in which he lived his life. Harry is a part of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation, those men and women who put their lives in peril so that future generations could live in prosperity and peace. Harry discovered what many of us seem to be seeking--simplicity and comfort in a life well lived. He was always an individual who took the words of noted humanitarian Albert Schweitzer to heart: "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it's the only thing." In my mind, the world is a better place because Harry Paulsen walked among us.
I wish this story had a happy ending but it doesn't. This wonderful man who will turn 90 on September 28, 2011, has been fallen by vascular dementia. Family members continue to visit him frequently in Rolling Hills Nursing Home in Zion but he has no memory of his past life and good deeds. He still smiles when you enter the room and his cheerful demeanor remains but it is sad to see this once wonderful husband, father, grandpa, and citizen so compromised. I'm sure many of you reading this are dealing with similar issues and please know that Diane's and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Life is a funny thing and there are no guarantees. I have to deal with the "new Gordy" after cancer and I must admit, I miss the carefree life I assumed I would enjoy forever. Yet I do know that the adventure continues and there will be ups and downs ahead just as there will be for all of you. For my father-in-law, the "knowing" part of his journey is ended and all that remains is for the physical part of his trip to conclude. I may be preaching a little but thinking about Harry makes me realize that we all should savor the richness of each stage of life.
What makes Harry Paulsen unique is the way he lived his life. In a world of flamboyant, headline seekers, looking for their 15 minutes of fame, Harry is EVERYMAN. Since he was a young boy, he had a job and never missed more than a handful of days of work in 60 years. He always paid his bills on time, preferred hamburger steak to lobster and mowed his own lawn. In the 44 years I've known him, he never uttered a profane word. He went to church every Sunday, was handy around the house, liked to take walks, and his major indulgence was and still is chocolate nonpareil candies. He never smoked and rarely raised his voice in anger.
In 1943, he began his stint in the Army. Harry served with distinction in the 104th Infantry Division (Timberwolves). On October 29, 1944, in Breda, Holland, shrapnel from a bomb explosion hit him in the back leaving a wide and deep scare. This Purple Heart recipient is a quiet introspective man. You know the type: they don't say much but when they do they listen. Sometimes those who say the least really are the ones who say the most. Actions speak volumes.
Harry Paulsen is a man I've grown to admire, respect, and in the highest praise I can give, love as if he were my own father. Harry believes in hard work. He taught life's lessons to his children by example. He never complained, never made excuses, he just did what he had to do and expected the same from his children who are all successful college graduates.
He is an unpretentious, modest man who earned respect by the manner in which he lived his life. Harry is a part of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation, those men and women who put their lives in peril so that future generations could live in prosperity and peace. Harry discovered what many of us seem to be seeking--simplicity and comfort in a life well lived. He was always an individual who took the words of noted humanitarian Albert Schweitzer to heart: "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it's the only thing." In my mind, the world is a better place because Harry Paulsen walked among us.
I wish this story had a happy ending but it doesn't. This wonderful man who will turn 90 on September 28, 2011, has been fallen by vascular dementia. Family members continue to visit him frequently in Rolling Hills Nursing Home in Zion but he has no memory of his past life and good deeds. He still smiles when you enter the room and his cheerful demeanor remains but it is sad to see this once wonderful husband, father, grandpa, and citizen so compromised. I'm sure many of you reading this are dealing with similar issues and please know that Diane's and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Life is a funny thing and there are no guarantees. I have to deal with the "new Gordy" after cancer and I must admit, I miss the carefree life I assumed I would enjoy forever. Yet I do know that the adventure continues and there will be ups and downs ahead just as there will be for all of you. For my father-in-law, the "knowing" part of his journey is ended and all that remains is for the physical part of his trip to conclude. I may be preaching a little but thinking about Harry makes me realize that we all should savor the richness of each stage of life.
Beautiful tribute!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the continued inspiration Gordy! Nicole starts at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo in 3 weeks!!
ReplyDelete