Little things continue to be my nemesis. Nothing gets down my throat easily with the possible exception of water and even then I can sometimes get it down "the wrong way" and choke. However, as Diane points out, "Gord, remember when you couldn't even swallow water? Progress is being made." I still have itchy skin and an occasional headache which can be pretty nasty. Recently back pain has returned but no where near as severe as last fall before all of this happened. Let's hope the injection between my 4th and 5th lumbar region on January 25th is not wearing off. All of these maladies are pretty minor when I consider where I've been.
As for progress, life is good. I get up at 5 a.m. but only to hook up a couple cans of product and take a swallow of water. Then it's back to bed until 6:30 or so. I watch a little Morning Joe on MSNBC and the first half hour of The Today Show followed by a 40 minute walk. This is a good time of day for me. Food intake is happening though in little teeny steps. Last week I had a small bite of chicken, some baked potato smothered in butter, and a kernel of corn or two smashed up. I actually did this while sitting at the kitchen table. These are really, really small portions and they take me forever to eat, but it is a start. I must wash all of this down with water. Today, I had my first oatmeal and some fresh fruit salad. Not enough to sustain me as yet but again a start.
Friday after my walk, I picked up the local newspaper, The McDonough County Voice, that is delivered to our home and therein, much to my surprise, was a wonderful column by local writer Patrick Stout discussing my condition and subsequent progress. The catchy title is "Taylor Eats Peach, Calls for Macaroni" and can be read in full at this link:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/opinions/x613850415/Taylor-eats-a-peach-calls-for-macaroni
Thanks, Pat, for a job well done and for thinking of the Taylors!
This past week was highlighted by a visit from Diane's brother Paul and his wonderful wife Marsha. As we all know, family is thrust on us while we can pick our friends. For me, Paul and Marsha Paulsen are not only family but very good friends. Time spent with them just flows--no agenda, no arguments, lots of laughs, and a certain banter of about the Cubs versus the Sox. Paul and Marsha came down Thursday and Friday to celebrate their 33rd wedding anniversary in Macomb! They stayed at the Days Inn which used to be the Holiday Inn for you old timers. We spent part of Thursday and Friday afternoons lounging around the outdoor pool. It was very relaxing and welcomed change of pace for Diane and me. PEG prohibits me from getting fully in the water but that didn't deter me from enjoying a couple of hours outside.
Continued thanks for the support we have received from everyone and everywhere in all forms of communication. It is much appreciated by Team Taylor! Have a great Sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment