




Daughter Jennifer turns 39 today. She started her life in Macomb and now resides in Corpus Christi, TX, with husband John and sons Luke (6) and James (2). Our relationship with each of our children differs and as we age what we do with our kids when they are little differs. You know the routine. With the first one, parents know everything about their kids and as we experiment with child raising, by the time the last one arrives, it is sort of "don't get arrested and lock the door when you come home."
While we were very hands on with all 3 kids in terms of "doing things," with the first one we had to make our own fun since we didn't have 2 quarters to rub together. We took bike rides, sat in a little plastic pool with her, and visited the local parks to swing and look at the ducks. I'm over simplifying but by the time Ryan arrived, in addition to playing with his older siblings, we could actually afford vacations to places like Florida, and Florida, and Florida again. We have great relations with all 3 kids for which we are very grateful. I didn't say it hadn't been without a bump in the road or two but it continues to be a grand adventure. During this "cancer thing," all 3 have brought great comfort to Diane and me.
One step back and two forward: For some reason, Friday was a melancholy day for us. It just didn't go very well. I will leave it at that. Saturday morning I took a walk; however, I got a bit overheated. I must remember not to get too hot or too cold during this process. Chemo and radiation are still with me. At any rate, at the end of the afternoon I was sitting on our deck. I felt it coming and threw up over most of our backyard and was in bed by 7 p.m.
Sunday and Monday were good days. BORING. But good. I continue to nurse down modest sips of apple juice--we're talking about 3 to 4 ounces here, folks. Tonight my plan is to move up to jello!!! Clear liquids and clear foods are the menu right now.
My voice has improved from a mere raspy whisper at its worst to sounding like I had just smoked 4 packs of cigarettes in one day. Now even though not completely normal, my voice is getting stronger and clearer though I find it difficult to sustain long conversations.
While we were very hands on with all 3 kids in terms of "doing things," with the first one we had to make our own fun since we didn't have 2 quarters to rub together. We took bike rides, sat in a little plastic pool with her, and visited the local parks to swing and look at the ducks. I'm over simplifying but by the time Ryan arrived, in addition to playing with his older siblings, we could actually afford vacations to places like Florida, and Florida, and Florida again. We have great relations with all 3 kids for which we are very grateful. I didn't say it hadn't been without a bump in the road or two but it continues to be a grand adventure. During this "cancer thing," all 3 have brought great comfort to Diane and me.
One step back and two forward: For some reason, Friday was a melancholy day for us. It just didn't go very well. I will leave it at that. Saturday morning I took a walk; however, I got a bit overheated. I must remember not to get too hot or too cold during this process. Chemo and radiation are still with me. At any rate, at the end of the afternoon I was sitting on our deck. I felt it coming and threw up over most of our backyard and was in bed by 7 p.m.
Sunday and Monday were good days. BORING. But good. I continue to nurse down modest sips of apple juice--we're talking about 3 to 4 ounces here, folks. Tonight my plan is to move up to jello!!! Clear liquids and clear foods are the menu right now.
My voice has improved from a mere raspy whisper at its worst to sounding like I had just smoked 4 packs of cigarettes in one day. Now even though not completely normal, my voice is getting stronger and clearer though I find it difficult to sustain long conversations.
Gordy your post still sounds so familiar. It does get better but it takes time and patience which few people have. Keep taking those steps forward.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to read of your progress. Step by step you will get there; you always have. --Justin
ReplyDelete