

Today was indeed the end of formal treatments as number 35 of radiation in seven weeks is in the books. I have resigned myself to riding in the backseat the past couple of weeks in order to minimize my nausea. Coach Patterson took me over on Tuesday in a driving rain storm. We looked like a couple of old grizzled combat veterans on a "mission" to Burlington. I thought today would be different,sort of like euphoria surrounding my persona, but that was not to be the case. When I entered the radiation room for the last time, I actually thought I might heave but somehow I kept things under control. I have a little phlebitis on my two forearms from the IV insertions when I was in the hospital. Dr. El-Khoury said not to worry and that I was on target. I treat them, or should I say Diane, with warm moist compresses four times a day--add this to our list of activities and meds Diane keeps track of daily.
At the end of our visit with Dr. El-Khoury, he mentioned the PET-scan will be done in about 12-14 weeks. At that time, we will find out if there are any active cancer cells in my body.
As the photos above show, upon our departure we were met by David and Gretchen Miller who have been there from the beginning in Florida. I felt horrible but as they were hugging Diane and giving her a bottle of champagne for consumption when I am better, I found myself hiding behind cars attempting to throw up when I had nothing to throw up. These are embarrassing moments but they come with the territory. From the fine folks at the Cancer Center, they gave me "my mask" and a "comfort blanket" for the journey ahead.
I have been warned throughout that the worst is yet to come over the next couple of weeks in terms of fatigue and general malaise. Folks, that time has arrived. My attitude remains positive but I just have no zip. And damn it, my throat HURTS. This all will pass, and I look forward to waking up tomorrow without a trip to Burlington. Hopefully, I can begin to ingest a bit more "product" in order to gain weight and strength. Within the next 10 days or so, my goal is to actually take in something orally.
There's no doubt about it. I'm losing some of my hair--mostly in the back where the radiation was directed. Not sure if it will grow back. Taste buds are shot now but may come back in 4-6 weeks--the same with salivary glands. So now the time has come to recover, and that will be done in baby steps, but let us assure you it will be done as this is no way to live one's life. As I've said from the onset, the diagnosis sucks, treatment is difficult, but the prognosis is bright. Today marks a new beginning. And as Jackie Gleason would say, "and a way we go."
Life isn't tied with a bow. but it is still a gift.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on completing the treatment, Team Taylor! We're so relieved that this chapter in the adventure is over. I am constantly thinking of you both and proud that you're tackling each phase as it comes. I wish you well the next few weeks. Take it easy and let Nurse Diane continue to work her magic. (Diane, don't forget to get some rest and relaxation too!)
ReplyDeleteGordy -
ReplyDeleteYou've climbed "Mt Everest" - Congratulations! You have proven the winners theory - focus on small wins each day and over time accomplish an amazing journey!
Having a great climbing partner like your wife Diane keeps the focus on looking ahead...
Way to go!
God Bless you both for this incredible journey; let each day be better than the next day as you start normalizing your life. We're always thinking and praying for you! God Bless!
ReplyDeleteThe Bomher's
Glad to read that the radiation is behind you. Keep moving ahead, Gordy and Diane. I know you will. --Justin
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you have finished the radiation treatments. It is a long wait for the next test results but we hope you are feeling a bit better every day.
ReplyDeleteYour "Across the Miles" columns inspired me to become a columnist. Now your blogging efforts are equally inspirational. You have an important story to tell. Press on.
ReplyDeleteOn this day, God wants you to know...
ReplyDelete... that the greatest happiness in life is knowing that you are loved for who you are, and sometimes in spite of who you are. Give this happiness to your family, to your friends, to your neighbors.
So glad you are done with your treatments and the healing can begin. Yes the next few weeks will be hard but it gets better... much much better after that.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change." Team Taylor has proven that they are living these words to the fullest. Your family and friends are following with you, hoping to lift your spirits and fill your hearts with promise. So glad this part of your treatment is completed...you are in our everyday thoughts!
ReplyDeleteJust to let everyone know that while "Skypeing" with my older sister & Gordy I received a "sign". I do not recall the specifics of why I deserved it, but Gordy flipped me "the bird". Now that is a sure sign that the PMA and fight is alive and well.
ReplyDelete“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” Dr. Seuss
ReplyDeleteThis was my son's favorite quote. He put it on his folder that went everywhere (appointments) with him. He said it made him laugh and picture himself with the BIG bat.
Great to hear Uncle Gordy!
ReplyDeleteGordy, WIU Class of '89 Alumna Cindy Dvorak Jacobson was watching the Cubs game last night and heard the announcer give "well wishes to Gordy Taylor." Cindy extends her wishes and thoughts to you. The Shinbergers are keeping you in their prayers.
ReplyDelete