Monday night vomiting resulted in a second hospital admission. I was not happy about this but it was clearly necessary as I was again dehydrated, my white cell count was low, and I had a temperature of 101.5. It appeared that there was an infection somewhere so I had two cultures through blood work up to find the location. Because of possible contamination, I was in semi-isolation which means everyone coming into my room had to wear a mask and yellow gown.
After radiation, I was wheeled over to the hospital and admitted at noon. Unfortunately, I received no medications until 4 p.m. I had the IV needle but no meds. This was the first time Diane and I got a little abrupt and fluids started flowing at 4:05. Diane left about 5 p.m., and I had another long night which while are no fun but this is par for the course. I had a rather surreal moment. In my dream, long-time and I mean long-time friends Ted Mowery and Dan Ross came to visit me separately in my room about how I lived my life. Oh my God, I thought, is this the end? Is this my Scrooge moment? And then I woke up. Oh yea, I was in a deep sweat.
Dr. El-Khoury and I visited at 7:30 a.m. today, and he decided no more chemo for me. My mouth is shot. I cannot begin to describe the pain in my throat so I won't even try. Diane arrived at 8:30 and it was radiation at 9:45. The staff wheeled me to the Cancer Care Center which is at the other end of this complex. It was quite a site because I had to have all the bags for the IV with me. Diane took a photo--hopefully in the future I'll post it here. Dr. McGinnis said he would not stop radiation treatment unless I was literally on my death bed. As he said, "there is no turning back now. This is one chance to take care of this so we have to press forward in spite of the adversity." I did manage with Diane's help to take a shower, and I am now resting comfortably in bed.
Great River Medical Center has wireless capability. Diane brought her laptop yesterday so she is sitting next to my hospital bed typing this while I try to whisper the words for the blog. Hopefully we will head to Macomb after radiation tomorrow morning at 9:30.
For those of you lucky enough never to have had to face the fear, pain, anxiety, and mental distress that comes with a potentially terminal illness, I pray that none of you ever does. To those of you who have preceded me on your own similar journey, I wish you continued good health. And to those of you who may face your own crucible in the future, know that the Taylors are only a phone call away.
Gordie and Diane- Your descriptions give me vivid memories of painful moments. Just when you wonder if you can possibly get through this, somehow you still do not quit. Be gentle with each other; each of you will come out of this with so much greater strength and understanding and admiration, especially for each other. I am following your blogs daily. I know you are on an emotional plane that brings out the best in each. Be strong- Ginger
ReplyDeleteHi Team Taylor!! I haven't check in for a couple of days, so I had a few postings to read. I think you ARE an amazing team, and I believe you are the true symbol of husband and wife. God bless you both!! Jill
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
ReplyDeleteDarcie
Larry and I are back in Illinois and I checked in to see how things are going for you. Hoping we will soon see more encouraging reports but know that you both have the tenacity and strength to get through this.
ReplyDelete