Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Monday, July 25, 2011

Working at Recovery

Downtown Galena
215 Steps from Main Street to Hill Street

One of the challenges of my cancer ordeal has been to find out where I'm going to end up from a health stand point. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a clear answer to this situation, and I am learning to accept that. Last week, the biopsy came back indicating a high probability that it was some sort of bug bite. No more swelling, itching, or inflammation for about 3 weeks, but I've also made a deliberate attempt to stay out of the wood behind our house. See I'm learning.....

This summer Diane and I are doing many of the things we had hoped to do last summer but my "c" event prevented us from doing so. Last week, we made a trip to Galena where I lived from 1946 to 1952. It was great fun as we were totally relaxed. We stayed at the historic DeSoto Hotel, had dinner at the Log Cabin Restaurant, took a trolley car tour, and I even climbed the 215 steps from Main Street to the top of the hill that overlooks Galena. There was one small crisis. I forgot my water during my walk but I did survive by convincing myself that this was a mind over matter issue and I could get along without hydrating. It wasn't pleasant, and I hope not to repeat my omission. Our trip included a comfortable visit with Bill and Sue Briggs south of Stockton and catch-up call with Nancy and Ron Duskey who live part of the year in Apple River Canyon.

My only real frustration these days involves the ongoing challenge with my taste buds. It's not all bad as I just ate 3 tacos for lunch, and knew I was eating tacos. However, Saturday night Diane and I actually did a little entertaining which means Diane prepared a sumptuous meal for a good friend of ours. We sat on the deck and shot the breeze and then were treated to Diane Taylor's grilled rib eyes, McDonough County corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, sauteed fresh mushrooms, and tossed salad that included fresh vegetables from the Farmers' Market. And that wasn't all as Diane baked a Peach Betty Pie. I mention this because while Diane and our guest savoured the meal, it was wasted on me. I could smell it; I couldn't taste it. AND that, folks, is frustration. In the grand scheme of things I will naturally cope with this and hope my taste buds come back over time, but for now, I honestly eat to live and not live to eat. Each bite requires a sip of water, and I actually get tired of chewing. Eating makes me tired and frequently I just give up. I know that this is no fun for Diane who watches me struggle. YET, as Diane is quick to remind me, "Gord, six months ago, you could hardly have a swallow of water." She is absolutely correct and so it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment