It has been quite a week for those of us living in the Midwest. Here in Macomb we had 20 inches of snow and 20 wind chills--such fun. I know I am “on the mend” as I shoveled for two hours on Tuesday and three hours on Wednesday in high winds and bitter cold. The driveway was “shut” by a four-foot high drift, three-feet wide, but I got it done. Now, my back was a little sore and my PEG insertion a little bruised but what the heck, it was an adventure and I survived. I continue to make progress in very small increments and am resigned to the reality that I will never get back to where I was when this adventure started but I am alive and in what appears to be good health.
I continue to have a couple of issues beyond the dry mouth and taste buds challenges. Every three weeks or so, out of the blue I get a bloody, and I mean bloody nose that is so dramatic it actually shocks me in its severity. I got one last week in the middle of the night and had to change pajamas and soak the sheets and pillowcases and take the comforter to the dry cleaners. Now, I did wait until morning to do all this, but it is a mess when it happens. My other adjustment is to the sounds I now make. I get this goofy cough when I clear my throat that sounds like a dying bullfrog (I really don’t know how a dying bullfrog sounds but you get the picture) and resonates throughout the house. It simply has to bother Diane as it is simply not natural; however, she is a good sport and doesn’t say anything. If this is where I am, I really have little to complain about and am looking forward to our Florida excursion at the end of the month.
These are the difficult days of winter, but I advise you all to take heart--March is less than four weeks away and soon the grass will get green, the trees will sport leaves, the snow will disappear, we can shed our heavy coats, tulips will bloom, and the Cubs will again play baseball. I do have a little cabin fever myself but keep busy with upcoming Across the Miles preparation and that keeps my mind busy. Not that it matters but I pick the Packers to prevail over the Steelers 21-17. Have a great weekend.
I continue to have a couple of issues beyond the dry mouth and taste buds challenges. Every three weeks or so, out of the blue I get a bloody, and I mean bloody nose that is so dramatic it actually shocks me in its severity. I got one last week in the middle of the night and had to change pajamas and soak the sheets and pillowcases and take the comforter to the dry cleaners. Now, I did wait until morning to do all this, but it is a mess when it happens. My other adjustment is to the sounds I now make. I get this goofy cough when I clear my throat that sounds like a dying bullfrog (I really don’t know how a dying bullfrog sounds but you get the picture) and resonates throughout the house. It simply has to bother Diane as it is simply not natural; however, she is a good sport and doesn’t say anything. If this is where I am, I really have little to complain about and am looking forward to our Florida excursion at the end of the month.
These are the difficult days of winter, but I advise you all to take heart--March is less than four weeks away and soon the grass will get green, the trees will sport leaves, the snow will disappear, we can shed our heavy coats, tulips will bloom, and the Cubs will again play baseball. I do have a little cabin fever myself but keep busy with upcoming Across the Miles preparation and that keeps my mind busy. Not that it matters but I pick the Packers to prevail over the Steelers 21-17. Have a great weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment