Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Monday, December 13, 2010

Quotables


The past week was rather frenetic but also fun as we shopped and ate our way through Chicago. Progress on the taste bud front is painstakingly slow and food simply does not have much taste. I eat not because it tastes good but because I have to and this is a major adjustment for me. However, as Dr. Diane says, "December 10th marked 6 months since the last radiation treatment and it will be another 6 months before you have an accurate baseline as to how far you will come back from this odyssey."

There have been some interesting quotes thrown our way since March. We want to share some of them in no particular order:

If you are going through hell, keep going. by Winston Churchill
We knew this was going to be difficult and we needed to forge ahead each day. This quote was sent to us by many.

Take it one day at a time.
We had to do this. If at the beginning of treatment, we had to think about 35 radiation blasts, it would have been overwhelming so instead after each treatment, we crossed that day off the calendar. It made things more manageable.

How could Gordy Taylor get cancer of the tongue? His tongue never stops moving. Wayne McDaniel, Alumni Director Emeritus, University of Florida

What happened to the other 25 percent? Gordy Taylor after being informed by the ENT specialists that this type of cancer has a 75 percent recovery rate.

You idiot, your immune system has been severely compromised. TV producer Mark Dial when I said I tire easily.

You gotta believe. Jack Margenthaler, former head men's basketball coach at WIU.

You look thinner. How did you manage to lose weight? A friend who will go unnamed who knew of my condition but had a momentary mental lapse.

Please, God, make Papa get better so that we can play together. Grandson Luke Stevenson saying his nightly prayers.

I hate canned pears and applesauce. Gordy Taylor on his new diet.

Keep your positive mental attitude during this battle. Many friends and family.

Get better so you can plant more tulips. Sue Hunter Pearce

Sometimes I think men need to quit being such babies and man up and take it like a man and do what is right and don't let things beat you. Face it head on and see what you're made of. Your situation is grave; you have a choice too. I think you are doing all the right things. I bet your dad would be extremely proud of you. Gordon A. Taylor III

Everybody's trip comes to an end sometime, so it doesn't pay to obsess over when that might be, just focus on the job at hand--living life as we know it. Jerry Baranowski, WIU class of 1968

Okay, let's move on to Plan B. Diane Taylor when told her husband had a couple of "hot spots."

Let Go and Let God. Many folks suggested we do everything possible to battle the cancer and then turn it over to God as we had done everything we could do.

It if hurts, don't do it. If you're tired, rest. Dr. William McGinnis, Director of the Cancer Care Center in West Burlington, IA.

I can't believe you're going to mow the lawn. Diane Taylor to her idiot husband ten days after the end of radiation.

I don't have to wait for the report to tell you, it's malignant. Dr. Alexander Lozano, ENT specialist who performed the biopsy, to Diane.

What can I do to help? Friends and family.

It's time to pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Unknown author. Diane loves this quote. Recently, her sister Ruth from Denver gave her a t-shirt with this saying printed on it just in case she ever forgets. During this battle with cancer as a caregiver, time wallowing in sadness and pity was out of the question. After all it was a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment