The Stevenson visit was wonderful but "we are showing our age." We don't see our grandsons as often as we'd like so when we do, it's like we need to cram in six months of attention in six days. Usually that would work out, but this time it really drained us. I must admit, neither Diane or myself would have done anything differently as the photos from our last posting clearly demonstrate but we simply ran out of gas. I think we tend to forget the 800 pound gorilla who lives with us until the results of the PET scan at the end of the month. He is always there, waiting for us to let down our guard, get complacent, and figure everything is behind us. It is not nor will it ever totally be gone from our lives. My guess is that there is some underlying residual stress that is always there waiting to manifest itself if we don't take care of ourselves.
In a way, and I'm a bit of an expert on this because of my parents' travails, cancer is more than a little like alcoholism--just when you think you have things under control, it jumps up and bites you in the ass. It lurks in the background just waiting for a moment of weakness and then pounces on that opportunity to give you a set back.
Diane actually got sicker than me so naturally being "Gordy Taylor," I said and I quote "how long will I have to take care of you, when will this crap end, why are you sleeping at 3 in the afternoon??" You get the drift. I'm lucky I have my own room to sleep in right now. We both had a good laugh, but it has been a long week and we are just now getting back to normal. Today, I walked for the first time in a week at the Rec Center so it is back to baby steps. As I mentioned in the previous entry, it was suddenly like I was back in early June at the apex of my discomfort or maybe the nadir--take your pick.
The wedding curse continues. While I was ambivalent about my attendance Saturday morning, all I had to do was look at Diane, and I realized we were going no where. This is the fourth wedding I've missed since all this has happened; I hope it is the last one. I did get a chance to talk with the sisters of the groom Saturday morning before they took off for the wedding which was nice.
I did an "Across the Miles" yesterday and am doing another one tomorrow. Other than that, we plan to lay low and maybe take in a movie and the WIU/ISU football game here in Macomb.

No comments:
Post a Comment