Diane & Gordy
Italy
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
A Visit from Ryan
For the second weekend in a row I got to see one of my kids as Ryan came down from Chicago on Amtrak Friday night. It was raining but we still enjoyed one another's company and his presence is a nice diversion for Diane who really enjoys bonding with her children.
Problematically I am not great company these days: (1) I have no energy. This is very difficult for someone used to being perpetually on the move. I can sit in front of the tv preparing to watch the evening news and put my head down for a moment and then wake up ten minutes into the broadcast which means I've missed the latest oil spill update. (2) The sore throat gets worse by the day which I expected. I commented to Diane today that the water I was trying to drink tasted bad and then it dawned on us that it wasn't the water at all but what's going on in my mouth that gave it a foul taste. (3) Boredom. I am so bored but I haven't got the energy to go anywhere or do anything. I try to read but that doesn't last too long. (4) Here's the kicker--for years I have suffered from restless leg syndrome or as we call it in the Taylor family "leg Jimmies." They have increased in severity; I suppose my inactivity makes it virtually impossible to get comfortable as every 25 seconds or so, they twitch dramatically. It used to only happen at night but now it is happening all the time and it is driving me CRAZY. I do have Mirapex--little white pills that help. (5) I go from spitting frothy saliva during the day to a tremendously dry mouth at night that requires frequent drinks of water. It is either too much or none at all.
As troubling as all this seems, I simply look at the calendar and realize that every day gets me closer to those magic numbers of 35 for radiation and 7 for chemo. I just wish each day was the equivalent of two or three but sadly that is not the case. I do intend to walk a little more now that it has stopped raining.
Ryan and I rooted the Blackhawks on to victory Sunday afternoon and we even watched the Cubs win a game. My kids are wonderful as they understand that at this point in time, sometimes less is more when it comes to me talking. I'm sure it takes a little adjusting to Dad "taking it" instead of my usual rapid repartee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Sorry, that treatment is getting to be really tough for you, but hang in there, keep counting down the sessions.
ReplyDeleteI heard about this site on the WGN news tonight, you might want to check it out. http://www.imermanangels.org/index.php
Another suggestion, check out books on disks from the library. I always have a couple of books going, one in the car and one beside the bed that I play when I can't sleep. Most libraries allow you to order the books online at their site and they let you know where they are ready to be picked up. Praying for both of you everyday. -Sandi
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Berthold Averbach
ReplyDelete