Diane & Gordy

Diane & Gordy
Italy

Monday, March 29, 2010

Second Opinion--Decision Time

The last couple of days have been long, very long. I get headaches and neck pain every day and last night neither Diane or I slept very well-DUH. Dr. at Northwestern Memorial Hospital concurred with Dr. Henrich from West Burlington--no surgery, combination of radiation and chemo, a total of 35 treatments over 7 weeks with an 80% success rate. Not sure what happens to other 20% but decided it prudent not to ask. Major concern from Northwestern Dr. Pelzer was experience of Burlington doctor in charge of radiation and oncology, and a quick call provided that the 60 year old Dr. McGuiness has done hundreds if not thousands of these procedures at the University of Iowa so Burlington it is and I can live at home. I meet with the radiologist and oncologist (I HATE that word) over there on April 9th which seems like about three years from now.

The personal part of this is starting to really hit home. This whole experience has become very draining both physically and emotionally to both of us and certainly our family. Diane and I just never feel at the top of our game. Eating used to be a pleasure for me but now I eat to live. I'm sure it won't get better with treatment. More dark humor-after the appointment at Northwestern, we sat at a bar on North Michigan and in an unsuitable way and knack that only I possess, I looked over at Diane and said, "Boy you look terrible" to which she deftly replied, "You don't exactly look like George Clooney or even George Gobel for that matter." We both laughed and that seemed to release the tension. Hopefully the fact that some decisions have been made will relieve the tension we feel. Again, I mention these things both to possibly assist those of you who face similar travails in the future and maybe provide a little macabre comic relief.

We had lunch with Gordon III today and will have dinner with Ryan tonight. Tomorrow it is off to Zion for a brief visit with Diane's parents then back to Macomb as I have an "Across the Miles" on Thursday and Friday. OK, "That's the way it is, today, Monday, March 29, 2010." It is time to put on my "happy hat" and move forward with that positive mental attitude that so many of you fine folks appear to think I possess. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment